ABBA News Archive 2009
Here are the old messages from our ABBA- News page from the year 2009. Books have been moved to the
Book List and obsolete announcements for TV shows and concerts have been deleted.
December 30, 2009
December 20, 2009
Sony plans to release the 3 CD box set "3 Original Album Classics" on January 29, 2010 in Germany, including three old solo albums by Agnetha.
It can be ordered from companies like JPC.
- Agnetha Fältskog
- När en vacker tanke blir en sång
- Elva kvinnor i ett hus
The box set "Original Album Classics" with all 5 solo albums was released in September 2008.
Many thanks to Peter Kauczor!
December 15, 2009
- Speaking from his home in Stockholm to Cleveland's Plain Dealer,
Björn said ABBA's induction to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame next year was "pretty unexpected". "It's a
wonderful thing, of course. I'm slightly overwhelmed, considering the other people in the Hall of Fame. It's a
Björn said that he and the other ABBA members have not discussed plans to attend the ceremony. "We haven't had
time to do that yet. We wanted it to be official, then we'll get together and we'll talk about what we'll do. It's
too early for me to say anything."
Asked if there is any chance ABBA would perform at the Rock Hall gala, Björn laughed and said "I don't think so.
I mean, we split up in '82, for heaven's sake. That's a long time ago. But as I say, we haven't talked yet, the four
of us. So we'll see."
December 11, 2009
- ABBA will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2010, the Rock and Roll Hall Foundation
announced today. Other inductees include Genesis,
Jimmy Cliff, The Hollies and The Stooges. The ceremony will take place on March 15, 2010 at the Waldorf Astoria in New
York City and will air live locally on U.S. music television network Fuse.
In a short interview with Rolling Stone,
Benny said: "I'm surprised. It's quite wonderful. I didn't think this would happen, because we were a pop band,
not a rock band. Being a foreigner from the North Pole, this feels really good." He added: "I haven't spoken to the
girls, but I know they're happy. I believe that a band that is inducted to the Hall is supposed to do a performance,
but I don't think we can do that. Agnetha is not flying, so I don't know how she's going to get to New York. And we
haven't done anything together in 30 years. It's a difficult one. But, again, but you should never say never, you
Thanks to our American correspondent Maria!
- At the Swedish Heroes Gala at Cirkus Arena in Stockholm last night, hosted by Mark Levengood and sponsored by Aftonbladet,
Frida presented an award to Swedish Heroes Sam and Stina Dahlgren, 88 and 83, for their lifetime achievement
and dedication to improving the lives of homeless and lonely people in Stockholm over the past 58 years. Frida was
the last presenter and walked on stage to the sounds of "Dancing Queen".
Many thanks to Niklas Albinsson-Collander!
Photos: Per Groth/Eivind Vogel-Rödin - Aftonbladet/TV4
- We have received a lot of questions concerning the ABBAWORLD exhibition.
Many thanks go to Touring Exhibitions for the following information:
- The tickets for the ABBA exhibition in London will be offered for 2 months for the time being. It depends on
public demand whether the London exhibition is continued after 2 months.
- London is the only European city so far where the exhibition will be shown. But there are plans to go on parallel
tours with the ABBA exhibition in several important countries, which will be announced at a later date.
December 4, 2009
- Benny and Björn have confirmed that "Kristina från Duvemåla" will be staged in Finland in 2012.
Articles in Swedish can be found here and
November 30, 2009
Premium Publishing will release an updated new edition of the famous books "Från ABBA till Mamma Mia!" and
"From ABBA To Mamma Mia!" with new covers in January 2010. More info here.
November 28, 2009
Fully approved and supported by ABBA, ABBAWORLD will
make its world debut in London at the Earls Court venue
(Warwick Road; tube station West Brompton or Earls Court) on Wednesday 27 January 2010. An engaging
introductory movie by critically acclaimed film director Jonas Åkerlund will start the experience and a free
audio guide will move visitors through the magical space at their own pace.
Frida said: "On behalf of Agnetha, Björn, Benny and I, we are delighted to be part of ABBAWORLD and to
have the opportunity to share our amazing experiences with our fans. The interactive elements mean this is the first
time we can actually take them on the journey with us. London has a special place in all our hearts and we are
looking forward to the world premiere of ABBAWORLD in January."
A new book about ABBA's 1979-1980 tour in the U.S. and Japan, "ABBA in America", will be released in January 2010 by
Premium Publishing in both Swedish and English versions. The book is by journalist Leif Schulman and photographer
Charles Hammarsten. More info here.
- After a successful two-concert run in New York this past September, another concert version of Kristina may be staged
at the Royal Albert Hall in London, England this coming April. More details will be forthcoming as the venue and
dates are confirmed.
November 26, 2009
- Our new issue, No. 57, is now published and is being mailed out to all fan club members! It includes the very latest
news on the new ABBAWORLD exhibit opening in London as well as many other features and reports. In the new issue
you will find:
- The latest news on all four members including exclusive new photos of Frida, interviews given by Frida, Agnetha, Björn and Benny, and all the latest releases
- Detailed reports and exclusive photos from the BBC tribute concert in London and the Kristina concerts in New York by our correspondents
- An exclusive interview with rock photographer Jørgen Angel, including exclusive photos and a special photo offer for members
- The chance to win a copy of the new DVD "ABBA in Japan", an autographed Kristina concert flyer, and/or a CD by new band Stockholm Stoner (fronted by former ABBA musician Mats Ronander)
- The last part of our Voulez-Vous 30th anniversary feature
- A new pull-out poster calendar for 2010
November 17, 2009
- Touring Exhibitions have confirmed that the exact date and place of the ABBAWORLD
exhibition premiere in London and all related ticket information will be announced this Monday, November 30. Stay tuned for further details.
November 16, 2009
- While in Copenhagen for the Mamma Mia! Danish production press conference, Björn told Swedish newspaper
that he and Benny will be writing a new musical. "It is true that we have plans for a new musical. We have finally
found an idea. But I can't say more than that right now," said Björn.
October 31, 2009
- Mamma Mia! will have its Danish premiere on 15 October 2010. The English song lyrics are being translated by Danish
singer, musician and composer Anne Linnet in collaboration with Björn. Attending a press conference today
presenting the team behind the Danish production, Björn said: "When I found out that it would be Anne Linet
[doing the translation], it was fine. I met Anne this morning and we decided that she would send the lyrics to me as
she writes them and I will look at them and offer my views. I've already looked at a couple of songs she has
translated and I don't have much to say, because it was very good."
Danish is the ninth language into which the musical will be translated. It has already been translated into German,
Japanese, Dutch, Korean, Spanish, Swedish, Russian and Norwegian. "I think Danish is a good language to sing in.
I may have difficulty understanding Danish when speaking it. But it fits very well when you sing it. It is a flexible
language, so it's probably not too difficult to translate from English into Danish, I think."
Danish newspaper Ekstra Bladet has a video of Björn reacting to the bad quality of an automated translation
attempt of his lyrics by Google presented to him as a joke. The video can be viewed here.
- Björn attended the wedding of Swedish pop musician Eva Dahlgren to jewellery designer Efva Attling on November 15
at the Rival Hotel in Stockholm with his wife, Lena. "It was a very atmospheric ceremony and the couple looked very happy",
Björn said. "I wish them the same long-term marital happiness my wife and I have had." Photo: Aftonbladet
October 29, 2009
- Here is some more information about the planned opening of the ABBAWORLD exhibition (formerly the ABBA museum) as we
are constantly receiving emails with questions about it:
The people responsible for the exhibition have told us that no final decision regarding the premiere date has yet
been made and they are hoping to give us a date by the middle of November. As previously announced, the opening will
be in London. Artifacts for the first exhibition have already been moved into the venue. We have been promised more
news as soon as it is available and will be sure to inform you at that time.
October 14, 2009
- The international Mamma Mia! Tour will come to Germany next year, playing in Frankfurt,
Baden-Baden, Hannover, Munich and Nürnberg. It is the English original version. You will find the dates
and prices on
October 12, 2009
- As previously announced, the new ABBA in Japan DVD will be released at the end of October. Here are a few
great screen captures from the "Behind the Scenes" documentary.
- Swedish media are reporting that Björn's effort to build a home on protected lands on the island of
Furillen in Sweden is going back to the Environmental Court of Appeal. The Swedish Environmental Protection Agency
filed a second appeal after its first attempt to stop a special exemption granted to Björn failed.
The Furillen property is protected under Swedish planning regulations designed to preserve coastal areas and beaches
used by the general public. Björn received a special exemption from Gotland county Governor Marianne Samuelsson
earlier this year. The environmental court supported the decision and rejected the first appeal by the environmental
October 6, 2009
- Many thanks to Steffen Stolze who told us about several upcoming shows on German TV:
- November 2, 1:15 - 1:45, Festival (ARD digital): French and Saunders as ABBA
- November 4, 23:05 - 1:03, Kabel 1: ABBA - Die Show from 2005, see the report in our news archive
September 29, 2009
- Special thanks to Simon Sheridan who just sent us the final front and back covers of his new book "The Complete ABBA"
already mentioned on our website. The book will be released on October 31, 2009.
- Aftonbladet published a short interview
with Frida today on her participation in the "Swedish Heroes" ("Svenska Hjältar") ceremony this year.
Frida said that her own hero was her grandmother, Arntine Lyngstad, who took her to Sweden from Norway when she was
two years old.
September 25, 2009
- Frida will be on a jury to select this year's "Swedish Heroes" – six ordinary people who have performed
different kinds of heroism in their communities. Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet is sponsoring the event and the
jury chairman is Mark Levengood, who interviewed Frida in 1996 for her ";Frida mitt i livet" television special.
The six chosen heroes will be profiled in the newspaper and honoured in a live gala on TV4 on 14 December. Björn
was on the jury in 2008. Here is a related Aftonbladet interview
with Mark Levengood, a photo gallery
of this year's jurors, and an introductory video
from TV4 with brief comments by Frida.
- Frida attended the wedding of her close friend and noted Swiss avant-garde architect Heinz Julen in
Zermatt this past Saturday with her partner, Henry Smith, the heir to W H Smith (the well-known British
retailer). Swiss magazine Schweizer Illustrierte
has photos and a related article.
September 24, 2009
- The second performance of "Kristina - A Concert Event" took place at Carnegie Hall yesterday and was received with as
much enthusiasm from the audience as the first. Meryl Streep and Christine Baranski attended the performance,
with Meryl sitting next to Benny in the same row he sat in the night before.
All of the performers gave exceptional performances once again. Helen received her second standing ovation for her
slightly more deliberate version of "You have to be there", affected only by a noticeably louder guitar intro and
an unfortunate mobile phone ring.
Although Björn did not appear to be in the orchestra during the second performance, both he and Benny
attended the American Swedish Institute's after-show reception where they conversed with and accepted praise from
guests, graciously taking the time to also sign autographs and pose for pictures with fans.
Several more reviews of the concerts have appeared in the press. Playbill.com's report of the first night
including photos can be found here.
reported: "Benny and Björn's latest musical partnership brought the house down on both concert nights inside
Broadway's legendary Carnegie Hall". Aftonbladet
called Helen's performance "world class". And the much-anticipated New York Times review of the second show by
Stephen Holden can be found here.
Stay tuned for detailed reports and exclusive pictures from both nights in the next issue of ABBA-!
September 23, 2009
- TIME magazine has given the Kristina concert a great review. Richard Corliss wrote: "Some of the most rapturous
melodies ever heard in Carnegie Hall poured out of that grand old barn last night." Read it here.
- The American premiere of "Kristina" in concert form at New York's Carnegie Hall took place last night. The packed
auditorium included Benny, Björn and their families who watched the concert from 12th row
orchestra seats, Mamma Mia! producer Judy Craymer, and a large number of fans.
The concert was met with audience acclaim and included outstanding performances from all the main performers. Russell
Watson and Louise Pitre admirably handled the roles of Karl-Oskar and Ulrika/Narrator, while Kevin Odekirk's "Gold
can turn to sand" garnered thunderous applause and was outdone only by Helen Sjöholm's very emotional performance
of "You have to be there", for which she received a standing ovation.
Before the concert and during intermission, both Björn and Benny mingled with the audience, signing autographs
and posing for pictures, while Russell Watson and Helen Sjöholm took the time to pose with fans and sign many
autographs after the show.
A few problems such as occasional low microphone levels and a bizarre sharp noise during one of Kevin Odekirk's
performances did not dampen the overall great atmosphere that is likely to be repeated tonight. Some negative critical
reviews are starting to surface from the American media, however, including Erik Haagensen's take in U.S. publication
Read Aftonbladet's review here
and listen to a report by Sveriges Radio (including after-show comments from Björn and Benny)
here (both in Swedish).
September 19, 2009
- ABBA have been nominated for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
along with other acts such as Kiss, Donna Summer and Genesis. Votes will be cast by a group of more than 500 musicians
and industry professionals for a total of 12 nominees. The five that get the most votes will be announced in January
and inducted into the Hall of Fame at its 25th annual ceremony on March 15 at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York
City. ABBA were also nominated in 2003 but not selected for induction.
Thanks to our American correspondent Maria!
- Playbill.com published a new in-depth feature on Kristina with quotes from the creative team and cast yesterday.
Björn even hinted at the possibility of another musical, saying: "We have something very interesting going
on right now, but I can't tell you about it because it's in its early stages." Read the story
- The New York Post also has two preview features on Kristina by columnist and ABBA fan Elisabeth Vincentelli
with quotes from Benny and Björn. Benny mentioned he only listens to classical music nowadays. The
features can be found here
A longer interview can also be found here.
September 17, 2009
- A special Christmas present edition of the
Mamma Mia! Movie
containing two discs will be released in Germany on November 19. Thanks to Steffen Stolze!
- Thanks to Universal Music Germany, who have now confirmed that the DVD ABBA Live in Japan
will be released on October 30.
- In an interview on NPR's Weekend Edition Saturday broadcast today, Björn said "It's always been a dream
ever since we wrote Kristina to present it to an American audience." The rest of the brief interview, which largely
revolved around ABBA, will be accessible here
after 12 noon US Eastern time. In the 2-minute segment that aired on NY1's "On Stage"
program, Benny said "The main reason we're doing this is it's fun and feels rewarding to be able to do
this -- come to Carnegie Hall, present this piece and to see what people think."
- Theatermania.com and Broadwayworld.com have video interviews from Wednesday's press event on their sites. You can
watch them here
and here respectively.
September 16, 2009
- Following Frida's interview last week, Agnetha also gave a telephone interview to Lotta Bromé on
Swedish radio's P4 today. The two women discussed music including her early German recordings, Agnetha's everyday
activities, and the concert tribute at Hyde Park last Sunday. The interview (in Swedish) can be accessed
- Here is the poster display for Kristina - A Concert Event at Carnegie Hall (57th Street & 7th Avenue) in
New York City.
September 13, 2009
- The cast of Kristina - A Concert Event met today with members of the press in New York City for interviews and
photos ahead of next week's performances at Carnegie Hall. Benny and Björn gave interviews to
various media including National Public Radio (NPR). More photos and information to come in our next issue.
Thanks to our American correspondent Maria!
September 12, 2009
- BBC Radio 2's ABBA tribute concert "Thank You For The Music: A Celebration Of The Music Of ABBA" took place this
evening in London's Hyde Park. The BBC Concert Orchestra featuring ABBA musicians was conducted by long-time ABBA
collaborator Anders Eljas. Benny appeared on stage relatively early in the evening to perform with Orsa Spelmän
to thunderous applause and audience chants of "Benny!". Included was an English language version of "Klinga mina
klockor". Later on he joined Kylie Minogue for a beautifully-arranged version of "When all is said and done" that
featured the extra verse from the Mamma Mia! movie version.
An emotional Benny and Björn walked onto the stage at the end of the show. Benny said: "If you
were us and you could be up here and hear all you 35,000 people singing 'Chiquitita', it makes us cry. It's absolutely
overwhelming. Thank you."
Björn added: "I'm not a nostalgic person, but tonight took me back. It took me back a long long time, and
I remember 4 young people being driven in a Rolls Royce for the first time in their lives from Brighton to London to
sing "Waterloo" on Top Of The Pops. And I don't know exactly what my dreams were then, but I think they must have
been something like 'oh my God, the chance of having one hit in the British charts – the home of the Beatles!'
I don't think our dreams went much further than that. And here we are today, 35 years after! Life can be pretty
wonderful. Thank you everyone – and I mean players, singers, the BBC, presenters, everyone – and you, the
audience for giving us this unforgettable experience. Thank you."
"And thank you for singing so good!" Benny concluded.
Other highlights from the overall mixed performances were a unique "jazzy" version of "My love, my life" by Jamie
Cullum; an impressive CHESS segment including "One night in Bangkok" and "I know him so well" sung by Marti Pellow
and Elaine Paige/Siobhan McCarthy respectively; and "You have to be there" from the Kristina musical, ably performed
by Kerry Ellis and featuring updated English lyrics.
September 10, 2009
ABBAWORLD, the highly-anticipated touring exhibition
with music, original costumes, history, images, instruments and never-before-displayed memorabilia from ABBA's active
years, will make its world premiere in London this autumn.
The actual venue selected for the world premiere is a closely guarded secret whilst the necessary preparations take
place; however, it is located in the heart of London's West End, close to public transport, and it will meet the
highest expectations of ABBA fans. Details of venue, premiere, on-sale date, and how to buy tickets will be released
at a later point.
Many thanks to Mats Daleskog of Touring Exhibitions, the organisers and producers of ABBAWORLD, for
providing us with the following additional information:
- The first exhibition is in its final stages; the staff is making last-minute preparations and tracking down any
last items. The next task will be focusing on making the exhibition movable, with the prospect of having more than
one exhibition going on at the same time
- One of Touring Exhibition's goals is to personalize, or adapt, the exhibit for each country it appears in –
for instance, showing country-specific memorabilia or emphasizing events from ABBA's history important to a particular
country or region
- The company will be interested in getting in touch with more fans as the project grows in scope and are open to the
possibility of memorabilia, records etc. being loaned to them by fans. They are also looking into the possibility of
identifying fans' displayed collections as a way of further personalizing the experience
- The ABBA members are constantly being briefed on developments
We will keep you informed of any special offers available to Fan Club
members in the future as well as any other news concerning the exhibition as soon as it is available.
- In an interview with British weekly entertainment newspaper The Stage, Benny said he was flattered about BBC
Radio 2's upcoming tribute concert to ABBA tomorrow. "When I heard Chaka Khan was going to sing, I was like, wow,"
he said. "I listened to her in the seventies and thought she was so great - an icon. That she is familiar with what
we have done and wants to participate, is kind of great." He also said that there is "vague talk" about writing
another musical with Björn. The entire interview can be read
Speaking to ABC News, Benny said he was nervous about the upcoming Kristina concerts in New York on September 23rd
and 24th. "I know I will be nervous," he said. "I will be curious to see the reaction from the audience." He added:
"It feels very special to play this music in New York. This is where most of the immigrants first arrived. Millions
of Americans share the history of these characters".
Benny also did not rule out a follow-up of sorts to the Mamma Mia! movie, not a sequel, but a "looser kind of follow
up." He also talked about composing inspiration, ABBA's global appeal, and their disapproval of John McCain using
ABBA songs in his presidential campaign last year. Read the entire interview
- Björn has written a guest editorial on filesharing and the damage it causes to composers in today's
edition of UK's The Times.
"I am writing this to try to shed light on this problem from a different angle: from the inside. I am well aware that
I, in many ways, am a bad choice for spokesman for the "poor songwriters", the vast majority who have not yet made
enough money to be financially secure. Nevertheless, it makes me angry when those who want to get round copyright on
the internet evoke a faceless and immensely powerful 'intellectual property industry' as their main enemy just
because it suits them."
Björn added: "A few years ago, I discovered that the music my youngest daughter listened to was downloaded free
from Napster and that she had no idea that what she was doing was wrong. It was easy to explain it to her, however,
and now she pays for her music downloads. It needs to be easy and trouble-free, and it is now." Read the entire piece
September 8, 2009
- Frida was interviewed today by Lotta Bromé on Swedish radio's P4. She spoke about her early collaborations,
life after 40 (and 60), finding a balance between happiness and sadness, and the possibility of working with Agnetha again,
saying that the urge to sing always exists, but so must the motivation and much of the two women's time is now spent with
grandchildren and doing other things. The interview (in Swedish) can be heard here.
September 7, 2009
- Many thanks to Dmitry Shipov, Igor Voevodskiy and Tatyana Voevodskaya for these exclusive pictures of Benny
visiting St. Petersburg, Russia this past June (7-9). Benny, his wife and son were invited by Bengt Jangfeldt, a
Strindberg-prize winning Swedish historian who has specialized in Russian literature for 30 years and focused on the
historical ties between Sweden and the St. Petersburg region.
September 3, 2009
- Agnetha has attended an event hosted by Villman Produktion AB
at Vasateatern in Stockholm tonight. The event-planning company announced a name change and visual identity redesign today.
Agnetha is seen here with company founder Agneta Villlman.
September 2, 2009
- Benny has said discussions are underway to bring CHESS back to the US, according to British weekly entertainment
newspaper The Stage.
He told the paper: "Someone wants to have another go on Broadway, I am not sure which theatre yet, but I think it will
happen." The Stage will publish a full interview with Benny in its print edition next week.
- Littlestar has confirmed that Benny will be accompanying Kylie Minogue on a performance of "When all is said
and done" at the "Thank You For The Music: A Celebration of the Music of ABBA" event in London on September 13th.
Björn will also be performing, according to Littlestar.
August 28, 2009
- ABBA No. 56 has just been mailed out to all our members! In this 36-page,
full colour edition, you will find:
- 6 pages of News Extra, including the latest ABBA news and recent press interviews with Benny
- Exclusive report on Agnetha's attendance at the Marianne & Sigvard Bernadotte Awards Ceremony, including exclusive photos
- Benny Andersson Band's summer tour - member reports and pictures
- ABBA The Typography Part 2: The development of the ABBA logo
- 30 Years of Voulez-Vous Part 3: The promo items
- Rare ABBA Posters Part 4: A look at oversized posters
- ABBA Competition
Plus a full colour poster of ABBA in 1979 rehearsing for their show in Leysin, Switzerland, size 40 x 60 cm.
Each issue includes a flyer about "Die ABBA Story" with info on how to get tickets for the show at a reduced price.
Björn has given a few interviews to media outlets ahead of his turn on CNN International's "My City_My Life"
series which begins airing tomorrow, September 3rd (check local listings). The show's webpage
has just been updated to include biographical information for Björn and ABBA, photo galleries, a new interview
and clips of the entire show.
He told Taiwan's China Post:
"I realized it was a blessing that ABBA was based in Stockholm. Because here people don't bother you that much or
they don't bother you at all. In the heyday of ABBA, we were, of course recognized by everyone, when we were walking
around. But people didn't bother us," he said. "When we started recording, which was in the early 70s, [Stockholm]
was much more provincial then, and has now become much more international," he added.
In an interview with the Bangkok Post,
Björn said: "First I was asking myself, 'Should I do this or should I not?' Then I thought, 'I'm very proud of my city. I'd be very
happy to show it to people around the world', and so I said 'Yes, I want to do it'." He added: "I am always very proud to hear that when
you ask people what they know about Sweden, most of them would say ABBA". He also touched on the rumours about his
memory loss: "This has been blown out of proportion. I went to the radio show when I said I am lack of episodic memory.
It was when you go back in the particular memory and trying to remember how it felt or what it smelt like, not long
term memory loss," he said.
Lastly, Björn told CNN:
"There is a very vibrant cultural scene in Stockholm. There are lots of places where there are concerts and there
are loads of museums and theaters. There is everything really, and eventually there is going to be an ABBA museum as
well. I don't know [when it will happen] -- I like to be arm's length when it comes to a museum about oneself.
Other people should do that."
August 27, 2009
The upcoming ABBA Live in Japan DVD will be released in France on September 28. There will be
Standard DVD, Deluxe Edition (2 DVDs) and Blu-Ray.
Here is the tracklisting:
Eagle, Take A Chance On Me, Money Money Money, S.O.S., That's Me, Tiger, Dancing Queen, Waterloo, Fernando, Summer Night City,
The Name Of The Game, Knowing Me Knowing You, If It Wasn't For The Nights, Thank You For The Music.
Bonus track: If It Wasn't For The Nights (Original Tape Mix)
The Deluxe Edition's second DVD includes the documentaries "Behind The Scenes" from 1978 and 1980 and probably more.
Please note that the cover picture is subject to change.
Special thanks to Gilles Colombani!
August 26, 2009
- Kylie Minogue will probably sing "Super Trouper" and "When All Is Said And Done" at the BBC Hyde Park concert
in London. As a long-term ABBA fan, she looks forward to performing together with Benny.
Contactmusic has a few quotes.
- ABBA Gold is celebrating 500 weeks in the "Catalog" list on the Billboard Charts today. More than 6.5 million
copies have been sold in the USA.
Thanks to César M. Francia!
- The BBC reports that Kylie Minogue will perform at the Thank You For The Music
concert on September 13 in London's Hyde Park. BBC 2 Radio will broadcast live from 18:30 - 21:00. See the
website for a list of
the artists and their songs, including Benny with Orsa Spelmän.
Thanks to our UK correspondent Lisa!
August 20, 2009
is a clip of Björn's upcoming presentation of Stockholm on CNN's "My City, My Life" series scheduled to air in September.
August 18, 2009
- Agnetha's "Wrap Your Arms Around Me" (the Villa mix) is the Song Of The Day
on Popjustice.com today. Thanks to Alan Hogg!
August 17, 2009
- Here is a video of Barbara Dickson in concert
from last month singing Benny's "The Silence of the Dawn" (Innan Gryningen), a song he composed as the Millennium
hymn for Sweden. Thanks to Alan of barbaradickson.net.
August 12, 2009
- Here is a quarter-page advertisement for Kristina–A Concert Event at Carnegie Hall taking place in New York
next month that has been appearing in Time Out New York
magazine. Thanks to our American correspondent Maria!
July 26, 2009
- Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet
has published a short interview with Björn taken in Stockholm's Djurgården as he was filming a segment for
an upcoming CNN special called "My city, my life"
where celebrities pay tribute to their hometowns. Björn mentioned that he and Benny will begin work on a new
musical in the fall, as soon as Björn returns from Tahiti where he will go for holiday after the Kristina concerts
in New York.
- The Toronto Star reported that Benny has asked Canadian theatre star Louise Pitre to participate in
Kristina–The Musical, playing the roles of both narrator and Ulrika. Louise originated the role of Donna Sheridan
in the Broadway production of Mamma Mia!–The Musical, earning her a Tony nomination in 2002.
July 22, 2009
- The American Swedish Institute, based in Minneapolis, MN,
is hosting a special reception at Carnegie Hall in New York after the second performance of Kristina – The Musical
on Thursday 24 September. Benny and the cast have been invited to the reception and are "expected to attend" according
to the ASI, although nothing has been confirmed yet.
- Chess in Concert will be seen on the big screen in the UK from 5 September 2009. The cinema release is a result
of a deal between Warner Music Entertainment and alternative content distributor More2Screen. The recorded concert
will be pushed out to theaters in the UK and Ireland for a few days in September ahead of the planned home entertainment
releases the same month. Venues include cinemas in London, Manchester, Liverpool, Guildford and Norwich. A listing of
confirmed venues so far with information on how to buy tickets can be found at the Chess in Concert
July 18, 2009
- Swedish film director Jonas Åkerlund will be brought on to create an introductory movie greeting the
visitors of the upcoming ABBAWORLD exhibition.
Jonas Åkerlund is perhaps most well known for his collaborations with Madonna and has also worked with other
artists such as the Rolling Stones, U2, Paul McCartney, Metallica and Roxette.
"I will be using a lot of the old footage and working with these masterpiece videos now, in 2009, makes me realize
that ABBA's music has stood the test of time," says Åkerlund. "Their music is as relevant and strong today as
ever and that is what I want to communicate with the montage for the exhibition."
Magnus Danielsson, President of Touring Exhibitions, said:
"Jonas Åkerlund's merits speak for themselves and we are also very proud of the fact that we can continue to
work in a Swedish tradition. We met earlier this year and it was immediately apparent that we had the basis of a
great working relationship. We are absolutely thrilled to have Jonas Åkerlund onboard for this project."
"If anybody will be able to capture the essence of ABBA today, it is Jonas," says Ingmarie Halling, producer at
Touring Exhibitions. It will be an extraordinary audiovisual experience that will put the visitors of ABBAWORLD in
the perfect mood for the exhibit."
July 8, 2009July 5, 2009
- Many thanks to our member Mike New who sent us these fantastic photos from the Benny Andersson Band at Hampstead
Heath in London, taken on July 4th, 2009.
July 4, 2009
- Here are some pictures from yesterday's Benny Andersson Band concert at Hampstead Heath:
Photos and a
video by Nick Burcher and another
video performing "Story Of A Heart".
July 2, 2009
- Peter Dyke has sent us the following news:
- ABBA will NOT reunite to replace Michael Jackson's axed gigs at The O2 in London. Promoters AEG were trying
to lure the chart toppers - who split in 1983 - out of retirement to fill the 50 vacant concert dates following Jacko's
shock death last week.
But band member Benny Andersson has ruled out any comeback. He told the BBC chat show host
Jonathan Ross on Friday night: "No one's asked us and if they did we wouldn't say yes."
Asked if they would ever reform, he teased: "Never say never."
Nine years ago ABBA - who scored hits with
Dancing Queen and Mamma Mia - turned down 1 billion Dollars to reunite. Fellow member Björn Ulvaeus, 64, said at
the time: "I picture an audience being very disappointed because it is not at all what they had anticipated."
- BBC Radio 2 announces "Thank You For The Music... A Celebration Of The Music Of ABBA"
As part of BBC Radio 2's
commitment to offering the best live music performances to its audience, the network will join forces with songwriters,
producers and former members of the world renowned Swedish pop group ABBA, Benny Andersson and Björn Ulvaeus, to
host "Thank You For The Music... A Celebration Of The Music Of ABBA" in London's Hyde Park on Sunday 13th September.
The concert will include exclusive live performances from an array of stars of some of Benny and Björn's most
famous songs from their days as of one of the world's greatest pop bands, to music from their recent offerings in
Musical Theatre and Folk.
Benny and Björn comment "Great Britain has always welcomed us with open arms
and this must be the greatest honour that can be bestowed on any songwriter. A concert devoted to our music in
London's Hyde Park! We are absolutely delighted and we hope thousands of Radio 2 listeners will join us there."
Lewis Carnie, Head of Programming for Radio 2, says "We are thrilled that we are able to work so closely with Benny
and Björn - two songwriters who have produced some of the most famous songs in pop music. It will be a fantastic
event for friends and families."
Further details of line-up and broadcast information will be announced at a later date.
Thanks to our American correspondent Maria!
- Benny was a special guest of the BBC One TV show "Friday Night with Jonathan Ross".
It will be repeated on Sunday, July 5 at 0:05 local time and can also be viewed online for one week, until the next episode goes online.
Thanks to Lutgart Smedts!
Universal Sweden have just released an 8 CD box set with Ted Gärdestad's albums. Benny and Björn have written
and produced some of Ted's songs and Agnetha and Frida were sometimes singing in the background choir, for example on
"Låt kärleken slå rot", so this compilation may be very interesting for ABBA fans.
The catalogue number
of "Helt nära dig" (Very close to you) is 0602527-07330 and the box set can be ordered online from CDON.
- The Local has published an article where Björn talks about religious influence on schools.
June 29, 2009
- Contactmusic have published an article on ABBA.
Thanks to our UK correspondent Lisa!
- Special thanks to Simone Müll, who took this photo of Benny at the BAO concert on June 28, 2009 in Stockholm. We will soon have more photos on this page and in our next fan club magazine.
June 24, 2009
- Here is a video of Helen Sjöholm and BAO performing
"Sommaren du fick" (Swedish version of "Story Of A Heart") live at Skansen on June 28.
Special thanks to Alan Hogg!
June 18, 2009
- Universal just told us that BAO's album "Story Of A Heart" will be released in Germany on July 7th, 2009.
You can watch a video of "Fait Accompli" here.
- The new Kristina at Carnegie Hall website includes a
photo/video page with a Flash video from the
studio. The cast members and the creative team are listed on the company page
and there is a "Story Of A Heart" MP3 just below the first lines on Helen Sjöholm.
June 11, 2009
- A double album of the London "Chess in Concert" will also be released in Germany on July 3. This
Double CD has a white cover like the DVD
and costs less than the red CD with the "Highlights from Chess in Concert" mentioned below.
Thanks to Willibald Glaser!
- Agnetha and her daughter Linda attended a gala in Stadshuset (Stockholm City Hall) where Crown Princesss Victoria
handed out this year's prizes from the Marianne and Sigvard Bernadotte Artist Fund. Other special guests included Eva Dahlgren
and Marie Fredriksson.
June 10, 2009
- The recordings of "Chess in Concert" from May 2008 in London will be released in Germany on July 3. You can order the
DVD and the
Highlights CD from Amazon.
Thanks to Willibald Glaser!
- German radio station SWR1 Rheinland-Pfalz has organised a trip to Stockholm for the ABBA fans among their listeners.
You can follow the events on a special blog website (in German).
June 9, 2009
- Here is the cover of the new BAO album "Story of a heart" which will be released in England on July 6th, 2009.
June 7, 2009
- Special thanks to WNET/THIRTEEN for letting us know about a new promo interview with Josh Groban where he discusses
"Chess In Concert", his co-stars and the music. The interview can be seen
June 2, 2009
- The Local and other Swedish media are
reporting that Benny has contributed one million kronor (US $128,000) to ensure that Swedish voters have a
chance to vote for Gudrun Schyman's Feminist Initiative (Feministiskt initiative - FI) political party in Sunday's
EU parliamentary elections. Benny confirmed the news in a statement. "Because I sympathize with Gudrun Schyman's
persistent struggle for equal treatment, I offered to try and help by providing financial support for an
advertisement that explains what to do when the pre-printed ballots are missing", he said.
- Here is the cover of the Swedish version of "Story Of A Heart" ("Sommaren du fick"). Thanks to Dmitry Shipov!
May 31, 2009
- We are pleased to let all fan club members of ABBA- know that we have mailed
out our new issue No. 55. As usual, all 36 pages are in full colour and in A4 size. Inside:
- The latest news, including the latest Agnetha photos
- Report about the Mamma Mia! premiere in Oslo
- Report about the 10th anniversary of Mamma Mia! in London
- Elaine Paige interview with Björn & Benny
- Exclusive interview with Barbara Dickson
- 30 Years of Voulez-Vous, Part 2
- Report about rare ABBA posters, Part 3
- A3-size ABBA colour poster
- We have just received the following information from the new organisers of ABBA the Museum:
ABBA the Museum becomes ABBAWORLD
The exhibition that will take the legendary Swedish pop group ABBA's story on a world tour is changing its name from
ABBA the Museum to ABBAWORLD. Magnus Danielsson, president of Touring Exhibitions, the company behind the project,
is confident that the new name and the new imagery will be welcomed. The website
will be launched this summer and it will provide visitors with an appetiser for the exhibition. Görel Hanser,
spokesperson and business manager of ABBA, commented: "The exhibition ABBAWORLD will ensure that the legacy of ABBA
will live on, for old and new generations to experience far into the future." The ABBAWORLD exhibition will have its
world premiere in Europe later this year.
May 30, 2009
- Here is the cover of the new ABBA Fan Club Magazine No. 55
which will be mailed out soon.
- We are pleased to have received an advance copy of the upcoming CHESS In Concert
DVD starring Josh Groban, Idina Menzel and Adam Pascal scheduled to be released on June 16th in the U.S. This concert
revival of CHESS took place in May 2008 and was recorded in performance at London's Royal Albert Hall. Our Belgian
correspondent Stany Van Wijmeersch reported on the event in No. 53.
The DVD captures the concerts exceptionally well and is sure to please both ABBA and CHESS fans alike. "CHESS In Concert"
will air on Wednesday, June 17th at 8:00 p.m. on New York's Channel 13 and on other PBS stations across the United States
(check local listings). Here are some screenshots from this exciting upcoming release.
May 28, 2009
- American theatre media outlets are reporting that internationally renowned tenor Russell Watson
will join Helen Sjöholm in the English concert version of Kristina från Duvemåla which will be staged in New York on September 23 and 24.
The complete 32-member company will be announced shortly. "Kristina - A Concert Event at Carnegie Hall"
will be directed by Lars Rudolfsson. Paul Gemignani will conduct a 50-piece symphony orchestra.
Thanks to our American correspondent Maria!
May 27, 2009
- Special thanks to Norbert Klammt who made us aware of the magazine Good Times
from Germany that includes a great 6-page article on ABBA.
May 26, 2009
- Many thanks to Görel Hanser who has just informed us about the following:
The new BAO album, "Story of a heart", will be released in Sweden at the end of June and in the UK on July 6th.
More countries will follow later on. The Swedish version of the "Story of a heart" single is titled "Sommaren du fick"
and will be released next week.
May 22, 2009
- Belgian ABBA news from our correspondent Stany:
- Belgian Radio 1 station published a TOP 50 of the greatest songwriters of all times (voted for by the listeners). Björn
and Benny are at number 13, Andrew Lloyd Webber and Time Rice at number 45 and number 1 is Bob Dylan.
- In this year's 'TOP 80 of the Eighties' of Belgian Radio 2 station (also voted for by the listeners) these
are the results that interest us:
2. ABBA - The Winner Takes It All
11. ABBA - One Of Us
26. AGNETHA FÄLTSKOG (ESF 74) - Wrap Your Arms Around Me
The most remarkable fact is Agnetha's entrance on the chart at number 26, well done!
- Belgian rocker ARNO released a 'Best of' 3CD that includes his cover version of "Knowing Me Knowing You".
- Belgian's most popular singer at this moment is Free Souffriau. She spent 2 weeks at the top of the album charts
with the album 'Free Souffriau zingt Ann Christy - Een beetje Annders'. The album contains a wonderful cover in
Dutch of 'My Love My Life' called 'In rook vergaan'. More info about this song in one of our future issues.
May 21, 2009
- You can listen to a short piece of "Story of a heart" here. Many thanks to Tina Schuster!
May 19, 2009May 17, 2009
Here is an interesting review
of the new B & B song "Story Of A Heart" by www.popjustice.com.
Thanks to Alan!
May 14, 2009
- Benny is featured in today's edition of The Observer
ahead of BAO's first UK release "Story of a Heart" on 6 July. In the culture series "Soundtrack of my life", Benny
discusses the six records that have had a profound effect on his life. Included are Elvis Presley's "Jailhouse Rock",
the first record he ever bought, and Alanis Morissette's "Jagged Little Pill", which Benny said he listened to a
lot in 1995 when he was no longer writing pop songs. You can read the full feature
May 12, 2009
- Tickets for "Kristina - A Concert Event" at Carnegie Hall in New York City go on sale on May 31.
A new website has been published to promote
the concerts that will soon include photos and cast information.
May 8, 2009
- The Benny Andersson Band will release their new album "Story Of A Heart" in July 6th in England. For the first
time, BAO (as they are known in Sweden) will publish songs translated in English. Four of the songs will be sung by
Helen Sjöholm. Two songs will be sung by Tommy Körberg. All the lyrics on the album are written by Björn.
The album will contain 14 tracks, including highlights from the three albums released in Sweden plus some brand new tracks.
- Special thanks to our member Niklas Albinsson-Collander who sent us this nice photo collage with the latest Agnetha photos
from the media.
May 6, 2009
- Agnetha went to the opening of Stockholm's new Louis Vuitton fashion store on May 6. Here are photos from Swedish
newspapers, one showing her with Lolo Murray (makeup artist from her solo album cover photos "Wrap Your Arms Around Me" and "Eyes Of A Woman")
and Michael Bindefeld, who organised the opening ceremony.
- The Australian Mamma Mia! Tour will return to Australia, playing in Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Brisbane with the
performers Anne Wood, Jennifer Vuletic, Lara Mulcahy, Robert Grubb, Peter Hardy and Michael Cormick.
The International Tour of Mamma Mia! will come to New Zealand to
perform in Christchurch, Auckland and Wellington.
A benefit concert given by the International Tour on April 30 for the L'Aquila Theatre in Italy, which was damaged by the earthquake, was sold out and raised €26,580.
The North American Tour will start their 3 week run in Honolulu
on May 12 with a gala for the Women's Cancer Center at Kapiolani Medical Center.
Carolee Carmello, who is playing Donna at the Winter Garden Theatre on Broadway, visited the daily TV show "Better".
And here is a video with Sean Allan Krill, who plays Sam in
the New York production.
April 23, 2009
- The staff of Benny's Rival Hotel have recorded a new song written by Björn and Benny called "2nd Best to None".
You can watch the video for it here.
April 19, 2009
- CD Japan has just listed a new DVD scheduled to be released
by Universal on June 24 that will include ABBA's much sought-after television appearances in Japan in 1978.
"ABBA in Japan"
(UIBY-1056) will commemorate the DVD release of the film Mamma Mia! in Japan and will feature the Japanese TV
programme "ABBA Special" and three other TV programs starring ABBA. We will inform you as soon as we know more
details about this release.
April 11, 2009
- Here is a link to the Chess in Concert Trailer made for the upcoming
DVD release and US TV broadcast. The performance was recorded at the Royal Albert Hall in London in May 2008.
Special thanks to Ice!
- Steffen Stolze has informed us about a new German-based Scandinavian Web Radio featuring ABBA and
other Swedish artists. If you just get a picture, click onto the "Text version" button in the upper left corner and reload the page.
April 8, 2009
- Many thanks to all fans and ABBA members who sent in these wonderful
pictures of the 10th Anniversary performance of Mamma Mia! And a special thank you to our Belgian
correspondent Stany van Wijmeersch, who told us that Björn and Benny were in a very good mood when they
entered the stage. They thanked their fans all over the world and Benny took the opportunity to invite everyone
to his (free) open air concert on July 4 at Hampstead Heath Park in London. More about the anniversary and more
photos in our next magazine.
April 7, 2009
- The version of "Kristina från Duvemåla" that will be staged at New York's Carnegie Hall will be
the concert version, not the musical version.
Many thanks to Christine Schuster!
April 5, 2009
- The 10th anniversary performance of Mamma Mia! in London's West End was again a great success. As already
reported, Björn and Benny attended the show.
April 1, 2009
- BBC Radio 2 just broadcast Elaine Paige's interview with Benny and Björn on the occasion of the 10th anniversary
of the Mamma Mia! musical and the 25th anniversary of the release of the CHESS album. The interview lasted about an
hour and a half and was interspersed with songs from Mamma Mia!, ABBA, CHESS and Kristina från Duvemåla. Among
- Benny and Björn were approached years earlier with the idea of weaving the ABBA songs into a TV special,
including a version with animals which they immediately declined
- Tim Rice had approached them with two ideas for a musical; the other idea besides CHESS was to do a musical about King Saul
- Benny confirmed plans to stage a concert version of Kristina från Duvemåla at New York's Carnegie Hall in mid-September
- Benny and Björn introduced a new English version recording of "Du måste finnas" (You have to be there)
by Helen Sjöholm, which sounds fantastic. Benny said the lyrics were not yet final. He also spoke about the BAO concert in London
on July 4th, adding that there will be lights and a "huge dance floor".
- The men said they were considering writing a new musical but did not have a story yet. They also dispelled rumours of a Mamma Mia! sequel.
- At the end, Elaine Paige sang "Thank you for the music" while Benny played the piano.
March 31, 2009
The concert series "ABBA The Story" featuring the Swedish tribute band Arrival will have its world premiere
in Antwerp on May 16. They will have 3D presentations and original members of ABBA's band on stage.
Thanks to our Belgian correspondent Stany!
- Agnetha has been to a concert of American soul singer Billy Paul in Stockholm on March 7. Some photos are here (search for "Agnetha").
- Here is a link page to the Mamma Mia! Specials
from Smooth Radio in the UK (MP3 format). Part 2 of the show is scheduled for next week.
Thanks to Lee Gale!
March 30, 2009
- Görel Hanser has informed us that Björn and Benny are expected to attend the 10th Anniversary
performance of Mamma Mia! in London this coming Monday, April 6. It is not going to be a large event this time and neither
Frida nor Agnetha will be attending.
- Many thanks to Ronnie Mehlis who sent us this radio listing featuring the upcoming Benny and Björn interview with
Elaine Paige on BBC Radio 2 this Sunday!
March 22, 2009
- Last Saturday the premiere of the Swedish musical "Cadillac - den sanna historien om Hep Stars" (Cadillac - the true story of the Hep Stars)
took place in Skänninge at the Biografteater (an old cinema from the 60's). It tells the story of Sweden's most successful 60's rock band, where
Benny Andersson played the organ and wrote songs before becoming an ABBA member. Swedish newspaper Motala & Vadstena Tidning reports the audience could never get
enough of the old hits:
"Letting five young music students play the five members of Hep Stars has turned out well. Of course
you could notice a bit of premiere nerves in the dialogue, but you didn't miss the fire in the songs. Peter Grönvall,
son of the original member Benny Andersson, did a fantastic job in re-creating the characteristic Hep Stars sound."
- We received the following message from Ewa Wigenheim-Westman regarding the ABBA in Pictures exhibition:
"I am sorry to inform all the fans that the exhibition 'ABBA in Pictures' that was due to open in May in Stockholm
has been cancelled due to copyright problems."
- Björn is among a number of artists that have posted messages in support of Fairplayforcreators.com,
a new website designed by the Performing Rights Society for songwriters to post their views on protecting their music on the web.
This follows the row between YouTube and PRS over royalty rates, which resulted in the recent removal of thousands of music videos from the site.
In his note, Björn says: "When I speak with younger colleagues about their current situation I feel a strong sense of compassion for them
and I understand their anxiety about the future. Some of them feel that their work is being degraded. There are those crusaders for the right
to share files who say: 'Why don't they go on tour and sing for their supper'. This argument shows a staggering ignorance of the fact that so
many of the people who write the songs have, more often than not, never been in contact with artist life. They are producers and songwriters - full stop."
- The Local reports that Björn has
gained permission to build a home and studio on Furillen, an island off Gotland. The county governor has granted
Björn an exemption from strict planning regulations that are designed to keep Sweden's beaches and coastal areas open to the general public.
- Faryl Smith, the classical singer who rose to prominence on ITV's "Britain's Got Talent" has released her first album.
Included is a reworked cover of "The Way Old Friends Do" featuring a couple of new lyric lines from Björn.
- Popular Norwegian singer Elisabeth Andreassen (or "Bettan", as she is known) has released a new CD called
"Spelleman" featuring 12 songs partly based on Norwegian and Swedish folk music. Included are "Klinga mina klockor"
(written by Benny from his 1987 album), "Det är vi ändå" (a BAO song written by Benny and Björn)
and "Nu mår jag mycket bättre", from BAO's latest album "BAO3". Orsa Spelmän also perform on the album.
March 21, 2009
- Many thanks to JohnSteven Warren who sent us these wonderful pics of the Oslo premiere. He told us
that he thought it was the best performance he has seen so far!
Björn and Benny attended the Norwegian premiere of Mamma Mia! at the new Folketeateret in Oslo this past
Thursday, March 19. Prior to the premiere, the two men gave interviews to the Norwegian press. On March 14, the
Norwegian TV channel NRK1 broadcast a segment on the musical including rehearsal footage and an interview with
Benny and the Norwegian producer, Maria Mediaas. On the day of the premiere, NRK1
broadcast an interview with both Björn and Benny where they spoke
about their greatest source of musical inspiration, the Beatles.
At the premiere, when asked how he thought the musical would work in Norwegian, Benny said that if it works
in Swedish, it works in Norwegian. Answering the question of whether the "ABBA-wave" would go on forever, he
said "No, I don't think so -- but it's fun while it lasts".
Thanks to our American correspondent Maria!
March 16, 2009
- Here are some Norwegian newspaper reports from the Oslo Premiere of Mamma Mia! with pictures of
Benny and Björn, the
show and the
- The British newspaper "London Lite" reports: "Sales of the DVD of Mamma Mia! have overtaken the final
Harry Potter book as Amazon's best-selling product of all time. The film's sales have shot up by 118 % in the past
two weeks in the run up to Mother's Day."
Thanks to Alan Hogg!
- BBC2 has now confirmed that the radio programme Elaine Paige on Sunday with Benny and Björn will be on
April 5 (the day before Mamma Mia!'s 10th anniversary) and that it will be a two hour show.
Thanks to our UK correspondent Lisa!
March 11, 2009
- The latest Elaine Paige on Sunday radio show on BBC2 was hosted by
Paul O'Grady, who announced that Benny and Björn's appearance planned for March 29 will be postponed to
Sunday April 5 (13:00 - 14:30 UK time) because Elaine is on tour right now. ABBA fans should probably listen to the
programme on March 29 just to make sure the date isn't changed again.
Thanks to Ronnie!
- A web radio for Swedish music including ABBA, solo and related songs can be found at
Thanks to Steffen Stolze!
March 6, 2009
- The Norwegian Mamma Mia! Premiere will take place at the Folketeateret in Oslo
on Thursday, March 19. Producer Maria Mediaas has told the press that Benny and Björn will attend the premiere!
- Mamma Mia! - The Movie has won two of the Dutch "Rembrandt Movie Awards": Best Foreign Movie and
Best Actress for Meryl Streep as Donna. Dutch RTL5 TV will broadcast the ceremony on March 12, 2009 at 11:45 PM local time.
March 4, 2009
- Many thanks to Liz McGinity from Littlestar England, who told us that tickets for the 10th anniversary of
Mamma Mia! at the Prince of Wales Theatre in London on April 6, 2009 can be ordered now: 0844 4825115.
- The ABBA- Magazine No. 54 has been sent to all fan club members!
February 25, 2009
- Our new ABBA- issue, No. 54, will be mailed out to all members within the next few days.
It is 36 pages, all in full colour, A 4 size and includes a 40 x 60 cm sized poster. In celebration of
the 35th anniversary of ABBA's victory in the Eurovision Song Contest, we are featuring a very rare ABBA photo
from 1974 on the cover. The new issue includes the following articles:
- 6 pages of the latest news, including new book & CD releases plus all the latest news on BAO and Mamma Mia!
- Full report on Agnetha & Frida's joint on-stage appearance with several unpublished photos from the event
- New interviews with Björn & Benny
- Report about the 30th anniversary of Voulez-Vous
- Feature on ABBA's typographical history from 1973 to 1975
- Competition with ABBA-The Movie Blu-ray discs and promotional postcards of the new Dutch Agnetha book to be won
Our members will also receive the latest ABBA promotional cards with printed autographs from Universal with their issue as well as promotional Mamma Mia! cards from Germany.
February 21, 2009
Although "Mamma Mia! - The Movie" was not nominated for any Oscars, the movie was mentioned several times during
the 81st Annual Academy Awards ceremony which took place in Los Angeles. A musical number featuring Amanda Seyfried
and Dominic Cooper on stage included parts of the title song.
Additionally, "Mamma Mia!" was recognized for best sound editing of music in a musical feature at the 2009 Golden
Reel Awards, held by the Motion Picture Sound Editors in Los Angeles on Saturday night.
Thanks to our American correspondent Maria!
February 12, 2009
Benny served as one of the judges for Swedish newspaper Dagens Nyheter (News of the Day) in their
awarding of their 2009 Culture Prize to Swedish singer-songwriter Frida Hyvönen. The ceremony took place this past
Thursday, February 19. The other judges were artist Ernst Billgren, author Klas Östergren, DN's theatre critic Leif Zern, singer
Marit Bergman and the newspaper's culture editor, Maria Schottenius. The winner was awarded 50,000 Krona and a statue made by sculptor Eva Lange.
Photographs (top/with Maria Schottenius and Ernst Billgren, bottom/with Frida Hyvönen): Hasse Fridén / Dagens Nyheter press department
- Björn wrote a guest editorial for Swedish opinion website Newsmill
this past Tuesday condemning supporters of "The Pirate Bay", a Swedish website that indexes and tracks shared files
on the internet. Its four founders are currently on trial in Sweden for promoting copyright infringement.
Björn said the file sharing site's fans were fighting for "the 'freedom' to be lazy and stingy"
and criticised file sharers of copyrighted material for portraying a David and Goliath scenario between movie
and record industries and consumers. "But anything they steal was once one person's idea, a single little
person. They don't want to talk about that," he wrote. He also asked why it was "so damn hard to
understand" that an idea can only materialize if copyright holders and their financiers know they have
a chance to be paid for their work.
February 9, 2009
- It has come to our knowledge that Alfred Haase, Frida's German father, passed away a few weeks ago. He had
been living in a nursing home. Our deepest sympathies go to Frida and his family.
February 7, 2009February 6, 2009January 23, 2009
- The BBC has now confirmed Björn and Benny's appearance at the
Elaine Paige on Sunday radio show on March 29.
It will feature an exclusive performance of a song sung by Elaine with Benny at the piano!
Thanks to our UK correspondent Lisa!
January 22, 2009January 18, 2009
Universal Music Japan has re-released the albums ABBA Gold and More ABBA Gold as a limited edition 2-CD set "ABBA Gold Complete Edition" with a total
of 39 tracks in the end of 2008. The catalogue number is UICY-91318.
- The musical Mamma Mia! closed in Barcelona last week and will go on tour this year. The tour will visit 20 Spanish
cities until July 2010. It will open in Bilbao and then Salamanca, Valladolid, Zaragoza, Murcia, Roquetas, Alicante,
Tenerife, Las Palmas, Jerez, Málaga y Mallorca and Córdoba are included in this tour. The dates are
still in the air but some have been already fixed.
Other cities being talked about are Valencia, Mallorca, Albacete, Altea, Guadalajara, Oviedo, Santander, Coruña,
San Sebastián and Logroño. At the moment it seems it is the same cast, including Nina.
- Teatro Arriaga - Bilbao, August 6th
- Salamanca - September 10 to 13
- Pamplona - September 17 to 27
- Zaragoza - October 1 to 18
- Murcia - October 22 to 25
- Roquetas, Valladolid - November 5 to 15
- Alicante - November 19 to December 13
- Tenerife - December 17, 2009 to January 3, 2010
- Las Palmas - January 7 to 31, 2010
Thanks to our Spanish correspondent José Luis!
January 16, 2009
- According to Broadway World,
various reports indicate that the 2009 Reprise Theatre Company season -- which was to present the world premiere of
CHESS with a new book by Richard Maltby, Jr. -- has cancelled the production. Benny had hinted at the
possibility of the production not materializing in a December interview on Sirius/XM radio.
CHESS was to play May 5th through 17th, 2009 in Los Angeles.
January 15, 2009
- Benny and Björn have been nominated for a Best Music in a Film award by BAFTA (British Academy of Film
and Television Arts). The awards ceremony will be held on February 8 at London's Royal Opera House. Mamma Mia! is
nominated for Outstanding British Film, while Judy Craymer is a nominee for the Carl Foreman Award for special
achievement by a British director, producer or writer in their first feature film.
January 11, 2009
- News for our U.S. and Canadian fan club members and North American ABBA fans:
U.S. retailer Walmart has released its own exclusive 2-DVD version of Mamma Mia!-The Movie including a bonus disc
with different features than the regular 2-Disc Special Edition. Included on Walmart's bonus DVD are:
- A feature on the trio of creative forces behind the musical and movie
- How Christine Baranski and dancers put together the steps for the "Does Your Mother Know" number
- Breakdown of the choreography in "Voulez-Vous"
- More on how "Gimme Gimme Gimme" developed, cast rehearsals and on the set
- Behind the scenes with Meryl Streep as she sings "Mamma Mia"
- 10 excellent things about Mamma Mia! – countdown with the cast and crew
The exclusive 2-DVD set is shipping to addresses in the U.S. and Canada and can be ordered
January 7, 2009
- ABBA is the group the British public most want to see reform and play live again in 2009, according to a poll by online ticket marketplace Viagogo.
Eric Baker, CEO of Viagogo said: "On Viagogo we have already seen huge demand for reunions from the likes of Blur, Take That
and Cliff and the Shadows. But ABBA would be the ultimate comeback tour according to fans on Viagogo - and who could put a price on that ticket?"
- The Broadway production of Mamma Mia! had its best eight-performance week ever for the New Year's week ending January 4th, 2009.
The previous New Year's record set by the musical for an eight-performance week was in 2005. Mamma Mia! is celebrating 7 sold-out years
at Broadway's Winter Garden Theatre and is currently playing a record-breaking national U.S. tour.
There are currently seven productions
of Mamma Mia! playing around the world (five resident productions and two tours). Mamma Mia!'s gross is now at over US $2 billion.
- The soundtrack to Mamma Mia! - The Movie was the 6th best-selling album of 2008 in Canada, according to Nielsen Soundscan. AC/DC's Black Ice was No. 1
with 341,000 copies sold.
The Mamma Mia! DVD is now the best-selling of all time in the UK.
- Meryl Streep's rendition of "Mamma Mia" earned the top prize for Best Song from a Soundtrack at the U.S. 2009 People's Choice Awards.
Thanks to our American correspondent Maria!
- ABBA's "Happy New Year" has climbed to number 77 on the official German Media Control sales charts.
January 6, 2009
- Benny and Björn have won the Swedish Music Export Prize 2008.
January 4, 2009
- If you are looking for a recording of ABBA's appearance in the Dutch Eddy Go Round Show, you can now get a
box set titeled "Het Testament Van De Seventies" with 10 CDs and 5 DVDs plus a 100 page booklet from Universal,
which is available in Dutch stores for about 80 Euros right now. It contains ABBA's "Fernando" video clip and the show
performance of "S.O.S." plus a little interview.
The box set will probably be released in other countries as well. Just search for "Testament to the '70s" or the article number 0600753064009.
Special thanks to Adriaan A. T. Hout!
- ABBA's "Happy New Year" is number 95 on the official German Media Control sales charts! These charts are updated every Friday
and include download sales.
- Mamma Mia! will be staged in French at the Théâtre Mogador in Paris this autumn. The theatre belongs to
Stage Entertainment and is specialized on musical productions. The auditions have already begun.
- We have deleted some old messages. If you found this page by a search engine, don't miss the whole site!